- 1 lb (450 g) boneless, skinless Granny’s turkey breast
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Peak of the Market shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemongrass, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Chinese five spice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) hot water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Peak of the Market carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) Peak of the Market red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) daikon radish peeled or fennel, trimmed and julienned
- 4-6″ submarine buns
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Thai or jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- Cut turkey breast into 1/2 inch thick pieces and marinate with shallots, garlic, lemongrass, five spice, oil, soy sauce and fish sauce for 2 – 24 hours.
- Pan-sear marinated meat over medium heat until fully cooked, turning it several times during cooking.
- The turkey is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 170°F (77°C).
- Allow meat to cool and slice 1/8-inch thick.
- Mix sugar with hot water until fully dissolved.
- Add rice vinegar, carrot, red onion, daikon radish or fennel and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat sub buns until just crisp and slice open.
- Spread mayonnaise on inside of each bun.
- Add meat, marinated vegetables, sliced cucumber, cilantro and hot peppers if desired.
Pairs well with a Whisky Screwdriver containing: Collingwood Canadian Whisky, orange juice, soda water & garnished with a lemon wedge and maraschino cherry.