- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chickpea flour
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) EACH packed brown sugar, granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (dash) EACH ground cloves, table salt
- 6 Tbsp (90 mL) unsalted butter or buttery spread
- 1 cup (250 mL) vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Place rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Coat 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
- In large bowl, toss apples with lemon zest and juice, sugar and vanilla. Place in baking dish.
- In same bowl, whisk chickpea flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt with whisk until blended.
- Cut in butter with a fork until mixture forms small clumps and sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is crisp and browned.
- Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream.