- 2 Royal Gala apples, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- Place the apples, cranberries, sugar, and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until all the cranberries have popped, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook over medium-heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender and the sauce is reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Add the orange zest. Stir to combine.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Cover and let chutney stand to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, spoon chutney into a container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: leftover chutney can be frozen for later use.